No matter how many episodes of home makeover shows you watch on television it is hard to replicate those styles with the same flair as they seem to do. Of course, your bedroom is also unlikely to be featured on TV, so the best thing to keep in mind is to make it perfect both aesthetically and functionally, for you! To make that task a little easier, here are a few tips to keep in mind when decorating your bedroom.
- Add some plants to your room. Not only does adding some greenery make for a great decoration in your room, studies show that it’s great for the air quality in your room.
- Make use of any space you have. Keep in mind that the inside of any closet or wardrobe doors is space just waiting to be used , most stores sell hanging organizers in many shapes and sizes, so either pick up one of them or borrow an idea and do it yourself!
- During the day, open all curtains and blinds to let the light in. Not only is the sunlight healthy for us, it makes the room appear larger and brighter.
- Add mirrors to your space. Don’t just settle for your one full-length mirror , which is often more for function than decor, add mirrors to different walls, not only do they reflect light, but they also give the illusion of your room being more open.
- Use area rugs to your advantage, rugs add a decorative element to your room as well as warmth. While being reasonably inexpensive, you can change them out frequently to update your decor.
- Keep simple Feng Shui in mind. Make sure the door does not line up directly with your bed. Have symmetrical bedside tables on each side of the bed. Make your bed accessible from both sides. (I’m not an expert, but any tip that could help to calm my life is one I’m willing to try!)
- Out of all colors to paint your walls, green is the most calming. Followed closely by blue. Red and yellow tones tend to have the opposite effect.
- Make your bed each morning. Along with picking up the laundry, and putting away any clothes that make it to the floor. The less clutter = the more relaxing.
- Keep the furniture simple. Spend more time utilizing the space inside your closets to get the most out of that space. If your furniture takes up a majority of the space in the room, it is going to look cluttered.
Again, keep in mind your room may not be TV ready. But if you can’t wait to relax in it at the end of the day, it means it is just perfect for you!