When you move into a new home , house or apartment, it is easy to come up with pages of things you would like to change, update, and improve. Unfortunately, moving expenses piled on top of down payments make taking on most projects nearly impossible. Rather than accumulating a ton of debt , we have compiled a list of inexpensive updates you can do that will make a huge impact on your space, and not your wallet!
- Update out dated brass fixtures. Gold and brass fixtures can age any room 20 years. Turns out you can purchase Rustoleum , paint/primer in one , in a bunch of updated colors , brushed nickel, chrome, rust, or steel. A quick and easy update to anything metal , sink fixtures, cabinet handles, light fixtures, even light switch covers!
- Update old fashion bathrooms. Believe it or not there is hope for the pastel bathrooms that were popular around the 60’s and 70’s , epoxy paint! You can cover up any sink, toilet, even tub with the paint, and give a fresh coat of white finish to an otherwise outdated space. While this is available to do yourself, keep in mind that even hiring a professional to do the work is a significant cost savings to a bathroom remodel.
- Update brick features. Most of the time anything brick is extremely hard to replace , fireplaces, accent walls, wood stove bases , but luckily a new whitewash finish can instantly update the look. It is extremely easy to do as well, white paint, water, a few brushes, and some cloths! And since you are doing it yourself you can decide how dark or light you go!
- Add crown molding. There are a lot of areas in the house where some simple crown molding can really make a statement if the original design was plain and simple. For example, add a frame around a plain bathroom mirror to dress it up. Update contractor grade cabinets with a piece of molding along the top , or even bottom of the cabinets. Even a strip around a plain window or door opening can make a big difference.
- Update a ceiling fan. The traditional fan that is a faux wood finish usually looks dated. Cover it with a coat of white or even black paint for a quick update. If you are feeling a little more ambitious change out the light covers for a totally new look.
- Add drama to your windows. Make windows that are proportionally small for a room appear bigger by hanging curtains wider and higher than the window , it gives an illusion that the ceiling is higher and the windows bigger.
Again , keep in mind even these projects can not all be done in one weekend , but they probably can get checked off a lot faster than a kitchen or bathroom reno!