When most people move into a new home, kitchens tend to be the first room that require attention. Whether it is just not your style or color palette, not designed in a functional way, or is just plain old outdated, most people want to give it a facelift. Unfortunately, after purchasing a house, it is generally not in the budget to renovate the entire room. Luckily, there are a few small projects you can do to give the room a new look without too much of an investment (and give you a chance to put the full kitchen remodel on the five-year plan).
- A fresh coat of paint. Paint can literally make a world of difference in any space, the kitchen included. The walls are a great start, but take it farther and add a coat of paint to the cabinets. You can really change the look of the kitchen by painting some wooden cabinets white, or painting some white cabinets a trendy shade of gray.
- Add a backsplash. Most older kitchens were designed without a backsplash – which makes adding a new backsplash even easier! Bring in a new color, or tone down the color of the room. If you are nervous to undertake a project tiling, check out your local home improvement stores where you can buy “tile like” pieces that are easy to install – they install almost as easy as wallpaper but with the classy look of tile!
- Update outdated light fixtures. It’s amazing how much different a simple LED bulb can make a room look, but change out the fixture to something updated – think antique bronze or brushed nickel. Most are easy to change out but looking online for a local handyman could be a good idea when dealing with electrical work.
- Change out the old hardware. Switch the outdated hardware on all drawers and cabinets to something new. It’s an easy fix that takes only a couple of hours and will make an instant difference!
- Make a chalkboard wall. A chalkboard wall is easy to make, you can buy the paint at any paint store, and it instantly creates a great conversation piece! You can use it to decorate the room – if you are good at drawing – or you can use it for a great area for your kids to play with.
- New appliances. Obviously, a larger investment, but changing outdated appliances can really refresh the space, and will be something that you will keep when you end up doing a total remodel down the road.
Hope these ideas buy you some time until your big remodel. Happy decorating!